The HP Staff
Dec 12, 2018
Volunteers load turkeys and holiday food boxes last year during the third-annual Holiday Food Sharing Program held at Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency’s warehouse in downtown Benton Harbor.
BENTON HARBOR — The Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency will have its fourth annual Holiday Food Sharing Program on Dec. 21.
The Holiday Food Sharing Program collects and distributes about 400 turkeys and food boxes to residents and families in need of assistance from Benton Harbor, Benton Township, St. Joseph, St. Joseph Township and other Berrien County communities.
The program is sponsored by the city of Benton Harbor, the PGA of America and Whirlpool Corp.
“It is the season for giving, and we are proud to partner with the Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency for the fourth year in a row to lend a hand by providing meals for our neighbors and friends,” Benton Harbor Mayor Marcus Muhammad said in a news release.
All interested residents must apply for Holiday Food Sharing Program to be considered. Registration is open and runs through Monday at 4:30 p.m.
Applications are available at the following locations:
• Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency: 185 East Main St., Suite 303, Benton Harbor
• United Way: 2015 Lakeview Ave., St. Joseph
• The Department of Health and Human Services: 401 8th St., Benton Harbor
• Benton Harbor City Hall: 200 E. Wall St., Benton Harbor
• St. Joseph Township: 3000 Washington Ave., St. Joseph
• Benton Township: 1725 Territorial Road, Benton Harbor
• Region 4 Area Agency on Aging: 2900 Lakeview Ave., St. Joseph
• Michigan Works: 401 8th St., Benton Harbor
• The Emergency Shelter Services: 645 Pipestone St., Benton Harbor
• The Salvation Army: 233 Michigan St., Benton Harbor
Applications need to be turned in at the SMCAA office to receive immediate notification and pick-up instructions.
All others will be notified by mail. Distribution of the turkeys and food boxes will occur on Dec. 21.
“The Holiday Food Sharing Program is a small way to show support for our neighbors and inspire a chain of giving across our local communities,” Jeff Noel, vice president of communications and public affairs at Whirlpool, said in the release.
Since the program’s founding in 2015, SMCAA has helped more than 1,250 families in and around the Twin Cities area.
For further information about the program, visit www.smcaa.com or call 925-9077.