Emergency Food and Shelter Program

Households in need of eviction prevention may qualify for emergency assistance for both food and housing.

EFSP supplements and expands ongoing work of local social service organizations, both nonprofit and governmental, to provide shelter, food, and supportive services to individuals, families, and households who have economic, non-disaster related emergencies. EFSP funding is open to all organizations helping individuals, families, and households who are experiencing, or at risk of, food insecurity and/or homelessness.

Potential Assistance Offered

- Food in the form of served meals or groceries
- Lodging in a mass shelter, or in a hotel/motel or other off-site shelter facility limited to 30-days assistance per individual or household
- One-month's rent or mortgage, and/or utility, assistance to prevent eviction or foreclosure
- Transportation costs associated food or shelter
- Minor emergency repairs of small equipment essential to mass feeding or sheltering, not exceeding $300 in repair costs per item
- Emergency repairs to comply with building code citations for mass care feeding or sheltering facilities, not exceeding $2,500
- Expenses incurred making mass feeding or sheltering facilities accessible for individuals with disabilities, not exceeding $2,500
- Supplies and small equipment essential to feed or shelter people, not exceeding $300 per item

Eligibility Requirements

- Individual or household facing eviction or foreclosure
- Household income at or below 200% of Federal Poverty Level

Application Process

If you fit within the eligibility requirements listed above, you may qualify for this program! Before beginning the application process, be advised that the following documentation MUST be included with your applicated in order to be processed:

- Proof of Identification: Social Security cards for all household members, birth certificates for infants under 12 months of age, documentation for all foster children in household, ID copy of head of household, AND a picture of head of household holding their ID
- Proof of Income: all earned income information for everyone 18 years and older who reside in household
- Proof of Emergency: copy of utility bill OR copy of current lease and letter from landlord with total amount you are behind on rent