Weatherization Assistance Program
SMCAA provides weatherization and energy-efficiency improvements to houses, rental units, and mobile homes.
The Weatherization Assistance Program is funded by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and administered by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). SMCAA receives these DOE funds for its low-income residential energy conservation program. The program provides free home energy conservation services to low-income Michigan homeowners and renters. These services reduce energy use and lower utility bills, thus creating more self-sufficient households.
A trained inspector will assess eligible dwellings for energy conservation needs. A typical inspection will include Blower Door testing for air leakage, Combustion Appliance testing for safety and efficiency, and a Health and Safety inspection. A computerized audit is the basis for determining which measures are most cost effective for each individual dwelling.
According to national studies, households that receive weatherization services can expect heating costs to be reduced 20-25% and 15-40% reduction of fuel usage. (Results may vary.) At today's fuel cost, that amounts to about a $300 savings. As fuel costs continue to rise, even greater savings will result.
The Weatherization Assistance Program provides free weatherization and energy-efficiency improvements to owner-occupied houses and tenant-occupied rental units located within Berrien, Cass, and Van Buren Counties. Weatherization is very simple - it improves energy efficiency and permanently reduces energy bills.
Potential Assistance Offered
Depending on the results of a free energy audit, each eligible property may receive a combination of improvements.
What free upgrades MAY include:
- Attic, wall, basement insulation
- Door sweeps/weather stripping
- Window air dealing and caulking
- Fridge/freezer replacement
- LED bulbs
- Faucet aerators/shower heads
- Furnace repair/replacement
- Programmable thermostats
- Continuous ventilation fan
What Weatherization does NOT do:
- Remodel your home
- Clean your gutters or paint
- Landscaping or garden work
- Plumbing or electrical work
- Replace cabinets
- Replace doors or windows
- Install wheelchair ramps
- Replace your roof
- Install siding
- Air conditioner replacement
- Resident of Berrien, Cass, or Van Buren County with your property located in that county
- Whether you are an owner or tenant, you must live in the property that needs Weatherization Assistance
- Automatically eligible to receive weatherization assistance if you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
- Household income at or below 200% FPL
Preference may be given to: people over 60 years of age, families with one or more members with a disability, and families with children.
If you fit within the eligibility requirements listed above, you may qualify for this program! Before beginning the application process, be advised that the following documentation MUST be included with your applicated in order to be processed:
The Weatherization application process is done over the phone. Please call 269-925-9077 to speak with the Weatherization department.