Food Assistance

Commodity Supplemental Food Program

CSFP works to improve the health of low-income persons at least 60 years of age by supplementing their diets with nutritious USDA Foods. USDA distributes both food and administrative funds to participating states and Indian Tribal Organizations to operate CSFP. 

At this time, we have slots AVAILABLE for seniors to register for CSFP.

The Emergency Food Assistance Program

TEFAP is a federal program that helps supplement the diets of low-income Americans by providing them with emergency food assistance at no cost. USDA provides 100% American-grown USDA Foods and administrative funds to states to operate TEFAP.


SMCAA distributes TEFAP commodities on a quarterly basis on the third Wednesday of February, May, August, and November. In 2020, SMCAA provided 54,634 food boxes to in-need households across the tri-county area!

Food Pantries

SMCAA has food pantries across the tri-county service area for those in need of food. Eligible clients who are in need of food supplies may receive three days worth of product from any of the SMCAA pantry locations.


Food assistance through our pantry is by referral only. Call 2-1-1 for referrals

Holiday Food Share Program

**Currently Inactive** 

The 2021 event was held on December 20, 2021. 


In partnership with various community partners, SMCAA provides holiday meals to eligible households in Southwest Michigan. Applications for the 2022 Holiday Food Share Program will open in November-December 2022. Please check back.

City of Benton Harbor CDBG Food Program

**Currently taking applications through May 13, 2022**

The 2022 event will be held on May 24, 2022 from 10am-noon.


In partnership with the City of Benton Harbor, SMCAA is providing a special food commodity and hygiene kit distribution to city residents. If you are a resident of the City of Benton Harbor, you may be eligible. Call 269-925-9077 or stop by our Main Office to apply today. Applications will be taken through May 13, 2022. Limited slots are available.

USDA Non-Discrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form.

To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by : (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW  Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.