Weatherization and Housing Rehab

SMCAA offers Weatherization and Housing Development programs.


Weatherization provides free weatherization and energy-efficiency improvements to owner-occupied houses and tenant-occupied rental units and mobile homes. The Weatherization Assistance Program provides free weatherization and energy-efficiency improvements to owner-occupied houses and tenant-occupied rental units located within Berrien, Cass and Van Buren Counties.  Weatherization is very simple - it improves energy efficiency and permanently reduces energy bills.

What free upgrades MAY include: Depending on the results of a free energy audit, each eligible property may receive a combination of the following improvements:

  • Attic, wall, basement insulation

  • Door sweeps/weather stripping

  • Window air dealing and caulking

  • Fridge/freezer replacement

  • LED bulbs

  • Faucet aerators/shower heads

  • Furnace repair/replacement

  • Programmable thermostats

  • Continuous ventilation fan


What Weatherization does NOT do:

  • Remodel your home

  • Clean your gutters or paint

  • Landscaping or garden work

  • Plumbing or electrical work

  • Replace cabinets

  • Replace doors or windows

  • Install wheelchair ramps

  • Replace your roof

  • Install siding

  • Air conditioner replacement

WAP Contractors

Are you a current or potential SMCAA contractor? Please click the button below to be directed to our Contractor Portal where viable information, important documents, and current RFQs may be found. 

WAP News

Who is eligible? Whether you are an owner or tenant, you must live in the property that needs weatherization assistance.  It must be located in Berrien, Cass or Van Buren County.  Your income for the last three months cannot be more than 200% of the 2015 Poverty Guidelines.

Housing Development assists homeowners by correcting health and safety hazards as well as code violation, and making other mandatory repairs to their owner-occupied homes, you must have resided in the home for the past six months. Your property taxes, homeowners insurance and mortgage payments must be current. Individual or families must have earning 80% or less of the Area Median Income.  These CDBG funds are secured by placing a non-diminishing lien on the homeowner’s property. The lien is a zero interest loan that must be repaid when the homeowner no longer lives in the home. Homeowners are encouraged to provide some leverage funds to complete the rehabilitation activities. These sources can be from some of the following organizations: Financial Institutions, DHS, and Veterans Organizations, Rural Development and CAA and personal funding.

All work in your home will be completed by SMCAA approval of a licensed contractor. Staff from SMCAA will monitor the work to ensure specifications and guidelines are being followed.

Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency administers a housing rehabilitation program using funds from Community Block Development Grants, available to all four counties through MSHDA’s county Allocation Programs that enables eligible homeowners in Allegan, Berrien, Cass and Van Buren targeted communities to provide assistance necessary to bring homes into compliance with applicable building codes, rehabilitation standards and lead-based paint regulations, maintain the quality of their housing and create a positive effect in the surrounding community.


The minor emergency repair program is dependent upon availability of funding at the time of the application and prioritized by type of emergency and may include heating, water heaters, electrical, plumbing, wells and septic systems issues.

Who is eligible? If you answer yes to these questions you may want to inquire about applying for our County Housing Rehabilitation Program:

  • Do I own/purchasing my home?

  • Have I resided in my home for at least 6 months?

  • Does my total household income meet the income eligibility criteria?

  • Am I willing to sign a lien equal to the amount of assistance that is provided to improve my home?

Specific Housing Rehab Information

You can find all the information you need regarding Housing Rehab programming at the HUD Section 3 Business Registry's website. A flyer can be found below.

For Additional Information on Programs

If you have any additional questions or would like more information on Weatherization and Housing Development programs offered by SMCAA, please call our office at 269-925-9077.


Miss S

I would like to take a minute to thank all of you for everything you did for myself and my son. I never imagined an assistance program like yours existed. Thank you for the new furnace and programmable thermostat, the new stove, bathroom fan, and for repairing our water heater.

Miss C

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to participate in WAP. It was a great experience for me and it changed the life of my kids and me... I don't know how we would have done it without you. We are so grateful for everything you have done for us.

Miss D and Son

Words can never express how thankful my son and I are for all the work you did on our home. It is so nice to have a new furnace -- I keep saying it has that new smell! Also it is nice that neither my son or I have to breathe in the CO, and it is nice to know the roof is in good shape. One less worry when it rains!

Contact Information

185 E Main St, Ste 303

Benton Harbor, MI 49022

(269) 925-9077

Office Hours

Monday - Friday

8:00am to 4:30pm

Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency

SMCAA is dedicated to empowering diverse people in need and supporting their journey towards economic security.

Our vision: to be a beacon of support in a strong, thriving community by helping people and changing lives.

USDA Non-Discrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal Civil Rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Civil Rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior credible activity, in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA (not all bases apply to all programs). Remedies and complaint filing deadlines vary by program or incident.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the responsible Agency or USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program discrimination complaint, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at How to File a Program Discrimination Complaint and at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

© 2019 Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency. All Rights Reserved. 

SMCAA is a private social service non-profit 501(c)(3) membership organization.