Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security

In an effort to respond to the immediate needs of SWMI, we are implementing CARES Relief and Recovery Services.

In an effort to respond to the needs of Berrien, Cass and Van Buren County residents during and following the coronavirus pandemic, SMCAA has implemented services through the CARES Relief and Recovery Services, which comes from federal funding by the CARES Act.

Potential Assistance Offered

- Utility Assistance: Providing utility payment assistance with electric, gas, water, and deliverable fuels
- Emergency Vehicle Assistance: Providing residents with financial assistance towards vehicle repairs or vehicle payments
- ​Minor Home Repairs: Provide plumbing or hot water heater repairs that will resolve the immediate emergency with access to water services for health and safety
- Rent and Mortgage Assistance: Providing rental assistance and help towards mortgage payments and property taxes

Eligibility Requirements

- 200% of Poverty
- Layoff, Decrease in Hours, Recipient of Unemployment
- Receipt of benefits through the MI Dept. of Health and Human Service
- Benefits to include but not limited to: SNAP, TANF, SDA, Medicaid and childcare benefits
- Current enrollee in other assistance programs (Ex. MEAP, HUD programs) that currently have income guideline restrictions

Application Process

If you fit within the eligibility requirements listed above, you may qualify for this program! Before beginning the application process, be advised that the following documentation MUST be included with your applicated in order to be processed:

- Proof of Identification: Social Security cards for all household members, birth certificates for infants under 12 months of age, documentation for all foster children in household, ID copy of head of household, AND a picture of head of household holding their ID
- Proof of Income: all earned income information for everyone 18 years and older who reside in household
- Proof of Emergency: copy of utility bill OR copy of current lease and letter from landlord with total amount you are behind on rent